Doesn't they say the same thing about photography when it was emerging? ;)
Agreed. This is just depressing and is a detriment to society. If this keeps advancing at its current rate, good art will be so trivial to generate that it won't be special anymore. Art will slowly morph into a banal distraction, with creating an original piece being as easy as applying an Instagram filter. The role of the human artist will change from a craftsperson to someone who picks a bunch of parameters, gives it to the AI, and chooses the best output. This type of technology is a threat to the very existence of art as a craft, will completely devalue artwork, and will make the journey of training to become an artist obsolete. I hate these researchers for what they're doing to a field that I love.
I disagree. There will always be demand for real artists. Like any other digital software, this is just a tool with the possibility to help artists create compelling worlds faster and add realism that would otherwise have taken days to make using other methods. As a 3D character artist, I would love to use this to create quick backdrops to place my characters in to enhance final renders.
The new software adds more expressive geometry algorithms and new tools to enable faster real-time 3D content creation.
Gravity Sketch 1.5 is here. The new version includes new drawing tools, new geometry types, orthographic views, better export options, and a new, experimental surface patching tool.
“Gravity Sketch is committed to disrupting and reimagining current design workflows to enable creatives to fully express their ideas in real-time. Putting the users at the centre of our development has allowed us to continue creating a software that is not only applicable to those from technical and digital backgrounds, but is also created in a way that it can touch creatives in all walks of life regardless of their creative prowess, and also bringing back an element of fun into the creative process. Our latest developments really encapsulate our communities’ feedback and we can’t wait to see what they can create with it.”
Seyi Sosanya, Gravity Sketch CEO
Gravity Sketch is a VR 3D creation tool. With this tool you can build 3d content with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, or Windows Mixed Reality headsets and motion tracked controllers. Developers promice, that the toolkit allows to build professional-grade 3D models, scenes, and artwork in a fast, intuitive way. You can easily export the content into CAD software, game engine, or any 3D print platform.
New Features in Version 1.5:
- Taper mode – This setting allows artists to draw any length of stroke and always have tapered ends.
- Draw with Normals – When artists draw with a non-round brush, the shape of the stroke will do a much better job matching the rotation of the controller.
- Edit Normals – This feature allows artists to edit the twist of strokes along their path (think square brush).
- Depth of Field + Square Snapshot – Artists can now add a depth-of-field effect to their snapshots, and take square pictures ready for the gram!
- Orthographic Views – Accessed from a new menu on the advanced panel, artists can now view their model from top/front/side orthographic viewports, then grab the panels off and take screenshots of them directly!
- Export Options – Gravity Sketch now has improved export layout and settings for .obj, .fbx and .iges, which give artists more control over the export process and improve compatibility with popular design tools.
- Sketch Materials – The replacement to color history allows artists to re-use materials much more accurately in their current sketch.
- Super Ellipsoid – This new primitive allows artists to adjust extra parameters to create interesting shapes.
- Filled Solid – Artists can now create new filled shapes in non-planar mode.
- Simple Grouping – Artists can now create groups of objects, which they can then move and manipulate.
- Connect Curves – Artists can now automatically patch two curves/splines/surfaces together.
You can purchase the software on Steam.