What does Knald mean for artists?
- Versatile work flow – Artists can import and work with Normal, Derivative, Heightmaps and photo-sourced textures.
- All calculations & processing are performed in double/single precision floating point (float64/float32).
- Pixel perfect 8, 16 and 32bit support – Our file I/O and image processing pipeline preserves your high precision data.
- Best in class Heightmaps – Excellent quality, accurate height maps generated from a Normal/Derivative or photo-sourced texture.
- Best in class real-time AO – Extremely high quality and clean results rivaling baked AO at 600+ rays.
- Ultra fast results – Real time AO, Concavity and Convexity map generation adjustment means no more waiting for bakes.
- Simultaneous map processing – See and adjust the results of all maps instantly.
- Real time (scalable) tessellation in the 3D preview – See what your heightmap looks like before importing it into an engine.
AO, Concavity & Convexity Maps
Knald’s ultra fast & extremely high quality Ambient occlusion results rival that of “baked” AO at 600+ rays. Fully adjustable in real-time which means no more waiting! Our stunning Concavity & Convexity maps can be tailored quickly and efficiently to suit your specific needs. Gone are the days of waiting for bakes to finish and then adjusting the results in an image editing application to make them usable. Optimized to be used immediately after export, adjust the results to your liking in Knald & and multiply or screen them when texturing!
Mesh Ambient Occlusion
Even bakes from multi-million polygonal meshes that can take almost 30 minutes in other modern GPU baking tools take only 2-3 minutes in Knald. By harnessing the power of 64bit and modern GPUs, Knald can even generate Mesh AO from UV mapped multi-million polygonal meshes with only your amount of VRAM limiting your potential! Want to use a 10 million triangle mesh straight from your sculpting application of choice? No problem! As long as your GPU has sufficient VRAM you are good to go! When uvsed with our Concavity, Convexity & Image based AO, you may never need to “bake” another AO map again!
Designed to be used as omni-directional thickness map (with an attenuation ramp) for semi-translucent materials, Transmission are generated in much the same way as our high quality Mesh AO solution. & it’s just as fast. Simply load a mesh into Knald (multi-million polygonal meshes are supported), check a box and then watch Knald do its magic. After only a couple of seconds you will be greeted by your new and beautiful texture which is viewable with real-time translucency in the 3d preview window.
Powerful ColorToNormal functionality
Knald’s versatile ColorToNormal mode enables you to create Normal maps from photo or Heightmap source data, via our robust I/O pipeline, with full 8, 16 and 32bit (integer and float) support. This allows you to then tweak the settings to generate the desired result – all instantly viewable, non-destructive & adjustable in real-time prior to integration for near instant gratification.
Real-time tessellation in the 3D preview
With 7 levels of tessellation, Knald allows you to view your Heightmaps displaced on a multi-million polygon primitive mesh in real-time, using our 3D preview’s fast, efficient & scalable tessellation.
Our high quality Parallax solution, a synthesized tangent space and true height field, allows you to visualize the magnitude of displacement which correctly corresponds to the Normal/Derivative map in a fast and efficient manner.
Physically based Specular & Gloss
Knald’s adjustable Specular and Gloss (A normalized, Blinn-Phong model in a torrance-sparrow formulation) allows you to to pre-visualise your final asset and view your progress with or without gamma correction. Knald also enables you to import and apply Diffuse and Specular textures to the 3D Preview, allowing you the flexibility to create and preview your work in whichever way best suits you.
Lighting, Mesh rotation & UV control
Effortlessly control your lighting, mesh rotation, UV offset & tiling amounts – then reset them with a click of a button.