Check out this week's five courses, that will help aspiring artists to get better at Environment Art.
1.Environment Modeling For Film
The first course of the digest comes from Alan Wilson, a 20 year veteran of the 3D industry, former QA for the Autodesk Maya/Max team. This course will teach you how to build and prepare your models.
By the end of the course you will:
- Know the principles for blueprints as they relate to building in 3D
- Know the techniques for Building Sets to Approved Camera Shots
- Have mastered your way through the Environment Modeling pipeline.
- Have created your own Hero Archetype Environmental Building from concept to completed 3D print.
2. Lighting In Unreal Engine
The next course is all about lighting. Learn how to set up lighting in Unreal Engine with Marie Yu, a Senior Lighting Artist behind Far Cry 4 and Far Cry Primal.
The course will teach you:
- Basic Lighting Theory
- Primary Color Theory of Stage Lighting
- Real Lighting vs. CG Lighting
- Interior Lighting, Exterior Lighting, Natural Lighting
3. Environment Arts: Real-Time Strategy Assets
If you want to create an environment for an RTS game, then you should definitely check out this course. One of the Industry’s leading artists Tobias Forsling will teach you how to create assets specifically for Real-Time Strategies.
By the end of the workshop you'll:
- Have mastered scaling assets properly
- Have created your own house and game ready asset for your own project
- Have learned about optimization within the engine and how to achieve certain FX's
4. Mastering Environment Creation in Houdini
If you are a Houdini user, then this course is just for you! James Hodgart, an Environment Artist behind Destiny and Dawn of War III, will teach you how to create incredible CG environments in Houdini. In our modern times, when Houdini has become the go-to tool in the FX industry, having enough skill to wield it is a must.
The course will allow you to:
- Learn the FX techniques and pipelines
- Explore the latest VFX trends and techniques
- Accelerate your FX career
- Find your dream job
- Learn at your own pace
5. Houdini For Games – Intro To World Creation
If your goal is to create a detailed and seamless world, then this tutorial is just for you. Learn from Thomas Tobin, a Procedural Tools Artist at Ubisoft Montreal, the intricacies of learning the procedural mindset and working with attributes within Houdini.
After finishing this course you will:
- Know the principles for working within Houdini
- Know the workflow for creating and understanding procedural assets
- Have mastered your way through the Houdini interface and HDA pipeline.
- Have created your own procedural real-world generator.