The vegetation making software is now available to all users of Amazon’s engine.
All users of Amazon Lumberyard have a unique chance to download and use SpeedTree 8 absolutely for free.
Amazon has provided all Lumberyard developers with a complimentary license for SpeedTree 8. To activate your license, simply click “Activate License” and proceed to checkout to create a SpeedTree Store account. You will then be able to log in with your store credentials.
SpeedTree is a well-known tool, which is used in games and films to build complex vegetation. It provides procedural tools and hand-modeling capabilities, helping to solve almost any 3d vegetation challenges.
Here’s an overview of some of the new SpeedTree 8 features:
• A free perpetual license provided by Amazon to Lumberyard developers
• Full PBR material workflow and rendering
• All new 3D surface-scanned PBR texture library
• New techniques for low-poly branch structure modeling and mesh editing
• Automatic vertex color painting for Lumberyard wind with in-modeler preview
• One-draw-call models with tiling textures, wind, and LOD
• Unlimited seasonal variation
• New art director tools and more intuitive workflow
It should be noted, that SpeedTree 8 for Lumberyard is only licensed for use with your real-time projects. So the models you receive cannot be sold or distributed. But it’s safe to use them in your games.
Not sure if this addition will make people start using Lumberyard more, but it’s definitely a nice bonus. Plus Lumberyard does work well with vegetation, so you might get some wonderful results with this combination of tools.