Even Top Notch Artists will be replaced by AI. You have no idea what you are talking about. If you do, only very superficial. At the end you are only an employee. You dont have any contact or experience to the High End Echelons we worked on. In 20 years, 40% of workforce working today will be out of jobs. First we will get worldwide financial crash, then AI takes over. Admin will remember my words in not distance future.
Don't work for me, loading freeze
Matthias Schmidt has recently written a post on his experiments with directional bevels in Substance Designer. The artist wanted to test the feasibility of procedurally generated sci-fi walls/panels that look like something originated from high poly models.
For the directional bevels a number of custom nodes from the community have returned interesting results:
1. Directional Bevel by Fabien Forestier – straightforward, not much computation time, therefore good for quick iterations
2. Perspective FX by Alexander Prokopchuk – more versatile options
3. Perspective Tool by Vincent Dérozier (purchased on his Gumroad) – similar to Alexander’s node
Other nodes that found very helpful in this endeavor:
1. Masked Edge by teto45 – creates a smooth edge where two blended height maps meet so very useful for that subdiv modeled look
2. Stack Auto by teto 45 – blend node that stacks two height maps on top of each other
First, I just messed around with some patterns to see where it leads me:
Then I dug deeper and tried to combine some directional bevels with tile sampler inputs to create actual walls:
Some more examples:
I will keep experimenting. It’s definitely a good way to get a good base to start with.
You can learn more about the artist’s experiments here.