Hi Elliott, This is a great breakdown and very generous in sharing your process and insights, you came a long way from the vending machine days!
Are you planning on releasing the UE4 project to the public? Or only builds? I'd love to play around with it in the editor if possible!
Take a look at Auto-Rig Pro, a new add on for Blender. Software’s features include the ability to edit reference bones to adjust the rig at anytime, a clear, easy to use and colorful bone picker, male and female rig types (with or without bust bones), stretchy spine, IK/FK snap with autokey working and correct snaps when unlocking all the leg/forearm rotation axis, a complete set of secondary controllers for advanced pose sculpt, advanced facial setup and a shape keys drivers creation tool.
- Append the rig in your model file
- Install the addons
- Edit the reference bones
- Click the match button! Rig done.
- ‘Edit reference bones’ feature to easily go back to the reference bones for adjusting the rig anytime you want
- A clear, easy to use and colorful bone picker
- Male and female rig types (with or without bust bones)
- Stretchy spine
- IK-FK snap with autokey working, and snaps properly when unlocking all the leg/forearm rotation axis
- A complete set of secondary controllers for advanced pose sculpt
- Advanced facial setup
- Shape keys drivers creation tool