This is a good blog,it teach me manu things.Thank for your share! visit us http://al3ab-banat01.blogspot.com
Hi Elliott, This is a great breakdown and very generous in sharing your process and insights, you came a long way from the vending machine days!
Are you planning on releasing the UE4 project to the public? Or only builds? I'd love to play around with it in the editor if possible!
Reflections, a Ubisoft studio from Newcastle, UK is looking for experienced level designers. The team, known for Assassins Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon, The Division, Grow Home, Watch Dogs and other games, needs new new talents to continue developing the best possible interactive experiences. As a senior level designer you will have a change to contribute to the creation of interesting, challenging and fun gameplay mechanics for the Ubisoft fans.
- Design and implement game levels that meet the style, quality standards and timelines of the project;
- Participate in the creation, documentation and tuning of the level to design gameplay elements according to the design and creative visions;
- Apply a notion of appropriate difficulty, pacing and flow within game levels, and how to leverage emotional reactions from players through the designs;
- Assist in the testing of new features and tools developed by the Technical Level Design team and provides them with relevant critical feedback;
- Understand and apply guidelines for creating original level layouts within the game to support specific gameplay rules or playstyles;
- Contribute to the creation of planning schedules to prioritise and estimate time and responsibilities;
- Track and update the progress of day to day tasks using the designated tracking tools;
- Adhere to quality benchmarks and best practices in level design content in accordance with the project’s creative vision; Create and update relevant documentation as part of the design process;
- Work with quality control teams as part of the debugging process by communicating relevant information to work towards resolving reported issues in level designs;
- Understand Rational Level Design theory, contribute to the creation of RLD guidelines and
implement content accordingly;
- Participate in regular reviews of Level Design content with the level design team to generate feedback in line with the creative vision of the project;
- Understand the playtest process, observe and analyse player actions in the game to generate critical feedback;
- Makes informed decisions with support from senior team members in their day-to-day work;
- Communicate vertically and horizontally within the team in a clear and professional manner;
- Support the Lead Level Designer with any other ad hoc tasks and duties.
Skills and Knowledge
- Good knowledge of scripting languages (such as python, LUA etc.);
- Understand how to use the Level Design tools and software as part of the production pipeline and workflow;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office suite software (such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio etc.);
- Basic understanding of 2D and 3D design tools (such as Sketchup, Maya, 3DSMax, Photoshop etc.);
- Good knowledge of an editor (such as Unreal etc.);
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to clearly express and present ideas;
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills;
- Solid organisation skills with attention to detail;
- Solid understanding of the consumer needs and market trends.
- Significant working experience in Level Design or other relevant experience;
- Has shipped at least 1 game within Level Design, preferably on a ‘AAA’ console title.