Thanks for sharing.I found a lot of interesting information here. A really good post, very thankful and hopeful that you will write many more posts like this one. - earn to die
Very impressive work dude!
Tommy Tran has recently published a guide to dealing with AI in UE4. How does a non-player character make decisions? How can you set up an AI-controlled player in a real-time strategy. The tutorial can answer these questions.
In UE4 you generate AI by managing behavior trees — a system used to determine the behavior of a character. The thing is that you can set up all kinds of scenarios with the help of this system.
The new guide will show you how to:
- Create an AI entity that can control a Pawn
- Create and use behavior trees and blackboards
- Use AI Perception to give the Pawn sight
- Create behaviors to make the Pawn roam and attack enemies
Here is a small piece of the tutorial:
In this tutorial, you will create an AI that will wander around. When an enemy muffin comes into the AI’s range of vision, the AI will move to the enemy and attack it.
To create an AI character, you need three things:
- Body: This is the physical representation of the character. In this case, the muffin is the body.
- Soul: The soul is the entity controlling the character. This could be the player or an AI.
- Brain: The brain is how the AI makes decisions. You can create this in different ways such as C++ code, Blueprints or behavior trees.
Since you already have the body, all you need is a soul and brain. First, you will create a controller which will be the soul.
What is a Controller?
A controller is a non-physical actor that can possess a Pawn. Possession allows the controller to—you guessed it—control the Pawn. But what does ‘control’ mean in this context?
For a player, this means pressing a button and having the Pawn do something. The controller receives inputs from the player and then it can send the inputs to the Pawn. The controller could also handle the inputs instead and then tell the Pawn to perform an action.
In the case of AI, the Pawn can receive information from the controller or brain (depending on how you program it).
To control the muffins using AI, you need to create a special type of controller known as an AI controller.
You can find the full guide here.