We should talk more about this, all of us... I work multiple jobs in gaming and entertainment in general so I burn out once or twice a year and I need months to recover. Screw that.
That's really neat tool to have,leads me to dig dipper into pixel proccesor. Great job
@alex if i had to guess, they just finished two back-to-back AAA games in the same franchise and some people are seeing it as a good time to transition without burning bridges? aka business as usual?
Allegorithmic released Substance Painter 2.0, an update that is said to turn the popular texturing tool into a mini-pipeline. Now game artists can paint, render and share their creations without ever having to leave their viewport!
Artists can now create and shed the most beautiful light on their 3D assets in the same place. With Substance Painter 2.0, all you need is a modeler and you have a complete Look Development pipeline.
Sébastien Deguy, Founder and CEO of Allegorithmic
At the core of this new workflow is NVIDIA’s Iray renderer. Freshly integrated, this powerful path tracer can produce photorealistic renders at the touch of a button, with no restrictions on resolution or material complexity.
Other Key Features Include:
- New Creation Tools: Substance Painter 2.0 launches with an enhanced library of scanned materials, smart masks, finishing filters and tool brushes. Artists can continue to build this library through a live link to Substance Share, which gives them free access to the community’s best designs.
- Substance Store: Curated materials, brushes, patches, HDRIs, and meshes are now available for purchase. Items can be obtained individually, or as Mood Packs that cover specific themes like “Sci-Fi Alien” and “Medieval Knight”. For added convenience, all assets immediately download into user libraries.
- Smudge and Clone: New painting tools make it possible to create smudges and clone channel regions, barring the need for touch-ups in external software.
- Imaging and Viewport Updates: Full screen mode, 3D mouse support, and improved image quality have all been added, making the experience of asset creation more immersive. Improved normal mapping will also enable better renders on material heights.
- Direct Exports to Engines and Showcase Sites – Sketchfab and ArtStation now have direct links through the viewport, making the portfolio creation process simple.
For more information, you can visit the Allegorithmic website.
Pricing and Availability
Substance Painter 2.0 is available today for the Mac OSX, Windows and Linux platforms. Indie licenses are available for $149, while pro licenses are $590. Interested artists can purchase Substance Painter on allegorithmic.com, Steam or the Unity Asset store.
Source: official press release