Dmitry Strelkov allowed us to repost his quick guide on making fresnel sprites shader for Toolbag. The artist wanted to add a sprite in Marmoset Toolbag, and finally, he decided to make his own Fresnel-based shader (you can get it on Gumroad). It can help you to generate new effects in a few clicks.
1. Add a file “Sprites.frag” in Marmoset folder. It’s usually path C:Program FilesMarmosetToolbag 3datashadermatcustom
2. Launch Marmoset or reload (if already started)
3. Add your “sprite” geometry in Marmoset
4. (Optional) Cull Back Faces, you can turn off if you want to get the visible backside of a polygon
5. Add new material and apply to poly geometry
6. Add new shader in material and choose in section Extra -> Custom -> Shader -> Sprites.frag
7. Add transparency. Choose in section Transparency.
Cutout (sharp transparency)
Add (soft transparency) + check Include Diffuse
7. Add your Sprite in Sprite Map
Tint Color – Base color and Emissive Color
Size, Intensity, Blur – behavior for Fresnel effect only Intensity Alpha – adjustment for transparent
Intensity Emissive – adjustment for emissive
The breakdown was originally published here.