Hello ! I am a video game student @ILOI & I am very thankful, your speech is very motivating .
Except the dude clearly doesn't know much of anything about the 3D game pipeline. Yeah, if you're very skilled, a high poly sculpt could, certainly. But then there's retopology, UV mapping, texture baking, rigging, animating, other means of optimization once imported into the engine. Granted it wouldn't take anywhere near the production time of a AAA character (Which the High-poly sculpt took maybe 10-15 hours altogether, but the finished character took ~94 hours). And granted pokemon models aren't nearly as complex as that, but I think at least a 1-3 hours from start to finish to be a fair average expectancy of artists who know the work flow well enough. I just hate how people are so critical of artists when they clearly don't understand what goes into it.
Having a hard time dealing with cover system in Unity? How hard is to set up some proper third-person mechanisms? Take a look at a useful pack that will save you tons of time.
You want your character to walk, run, jump, fight, sneak, take cover and do all those things with or without weapons? We got you covered.
Inspired by combat in games like Mass effect, Division, Ghost Recon Online, we made an asset to help unity developers to make those kinds of combat systems without spending months prototyping gameplay in C# and thousands of dollars for animations.
Check out an overview of the latest updates:
- Implemented friendly fire prevention
- Many AI behavior and decision making fixes and improvements
- Implemented AI debugging and visualization
- Changed how peeking over corners works
- Changed how aiming back from tall cover works
- Added Grenades
- Added an Alerts system where various sounds and events notify AI of an enemy presence.
- AI can attack non-character objects (for example, security cameras).
- Added character rolling.
- Added AI patrols.
- Added AI investigations.
- AI can forget about the enemy.
- Hitboxes. Characters take different damage depending on where they are hit.
- Added idle state when characters are not aiming while standing still.
- Camera collisions, obstacle avoidance.
- Arms can aim independently from bodies.
- Added character sprinting.
- Character sleep system. Components are turned off for characters that are far away.
- Beginnings of AI group behavior. The number of aggressive AI attacking at the same time can be limited.
- Better AI communication. Information about the enemy and investigation is passed between the AI.
- Beginnings of an obstacle fading system.
More information can be found here.