Creating the Africa Fantasy Environment
Events
Subscribe:  iCal  |  Google Calendar
Las Vegas US   20, Feb — 23, Feb
Barcelona ES   26, Feb — 2, Mar
Barcelona ES   26, Feb — 2, Mar
Austin US   9, Mar — 19, Mar
San Francisco US   19, Mar — 24, Mar
Latest comments
by Vilaskis
3 hours ago

Thank you Richard. If I find some more ways to improvise for optimization, then I'll tell you definitely

by janelle
3 hours ago

would love to see the substance graph.

by Richard
5 hours ago

The visual shader system will be great for modular asset pack makers. You see some incredibly high quality modular asset packs on the Unreal store, whilst the ones for Unity are so-so, which I think is down to the ease of creating shaders on Unreal vs Unity. Alternatively you have to make your shaders in something like Uber Shader system which immediately splits your customer base.

Creating the Africa Fantasy Environment
6 September, 2016
Interview

Doru Butz from Evozon Game Studio, who has previously presented amazing scene called Cybepunk Alley, published a breakdown of a production process behind the Africa Fantasy Environment. The artist talked reaching for a savanna look, using modern tools and working on post-production. 

doru-butz-highresscreenshot00022

This month was spent creating a new environment. We chose an African theme, based on the savanna. Vlad made a few concept sketches but eventually we settled on the one below:

copper

Taking into consideration what I learned when making the Cyberpunk Alley, I tried to have more variation and exploration from the block-out stage.

upload_17_5_2016_at_17_41_59

Since this needed to be a highly atmospheric piece, I also started to block out the lighting and mood.

After I got to a result I thought was looking good, work on the foliage began. At first, I used meshes for grass and some quick trees, but I didn’t like the result.

upload_18_5_2016_at_17_09_35

Using some textures, I had lying around, I remade the foliage and started work on the ground texture. For the sandy rock texture, I used Substance Designer so I could iterate fast and keep the texture flexible as the environment evolved.

upload_20_5_2016_at_17_12_23

The next step was to make proper grass textures. This caused my original ground texture to be insufficient, so I remade it into a grassier/rockier version. By this time my references began to have more and more Uncharted 4 images in them. Their level of work was something I strived to achieve. The downside was that I started to stray away from my original vision of a savanna. After more work on the vegetation and textures, the whole piece began to look too green and lush.

upload_24_5_2016_at_18_42_50

By this stage I had replaced most block-out assets with more refined and textured versions. I also remade all the foliage textures. The grass was made in Zbrush using fibermesh, and then baked and textured.

Grass_DIFF

Grass_NM

The rocks were also sculpted in Zbrush, but for the texturing process, I decided to make one main material node in Substance and texture all my rocks with it.

Henge_all_grey

Henge_all

When I reached this stage I realised my scene had become way too green to be called a savanna.

upload_7_6_2016_at_17_28_41

upload_7_6_2016_at_17_28_41

I did more work on the grass colour, trying to capture the savanna look. But the scene needed a focal point. I decided that the whole mystery of the scene would be increased with a foreign object that would add a lot of contrast. So I made an alien artefact-looking ball, surrounded by vines.

upload_9_6_2016_at_14_12_05

I think this made a huge difference as it fixed some scale issues by adding a much needed central piece. I started to add more colour variation in the grass and remade the trees (I did this a lot throughout the project, it was one of my main time sinks). Since I added the main focal point I felt that the large pillars on the sides were becoming unnecessary and distracting. I also changed the composition of the vines and of the henge in the middle giving it more flow and creating a nice curve for the eye to follow the metal ball.

upload_13_6_2016_at_18_27_35

The grass was starting to look better, but it was becoming too lush, losing some of that savanna feel I was looking for. I removed a lot of the grass and redid the ground texture adding a more reddish colour in order to add more contrast to the whole scene.

upload_14_6_2016_at_18_50_00

This had a more savanna feel to it, and I felt I was going in the right direction. I remade the trees (again) and worked on the final composition and colour scheme. I liked the blue and brown contrast between the ground and sky, but it felt like it was splitting the whole piece in half. The trees also look too green so I added smaller bushes/trees to showcase the scale better.

3-1

This is the final shot. I reduced some of the contrast and pushed the atmosphere some more. I added more fog and some particle effects, to create the feel of an incoming sandstorm. I added some variation in the grass size and made a few variations of the ground texture so I could blend between them.

doru-butz-highresscreenshot00022-1

doru-butz-highresscreenshot00033-1

doru-butz-highresscreenshot00029

Sand_Cubes_new

Trees

Overall I feel satisfied with how the piece turned out. I do feel that vegetation is hard to do and could use improving on. I have learned a lot while making this, but I feel that the main takeaways are the same with the ones from the Cyberpunk Environment:

– composition and lighting are key

– a good block-out will save you a lot of time

– feedback is very important, get as much of it as you can

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

avatar
wpDiscuz